Wednesday, March 28, 2012

from the apple isle: michelle's home

Before I met Michelle I felt like I knew her. Such is the experience when blogger meets blogger. Michelle and I, we've been reading about each other's lives for years now, commenting on stories, household additions, sweet photographs. If Michelle went through her archives she would probably have at least a hundred comments from me regarding food. You see, she's a food curator and jam maker. She dabbles in cookbook styling and home making. She cooks from the heart for her family and her friends. After years of drooling over her edible creations and her magazine-worthy abode I finally had the opportunity to step into her life, for just a day. 

I'm pretty sure I sighed when I walked into her kitchen. Daniel wasn't quite as subtle: "Oh, I feel like I'm walking into a magazine!" he exclaimed. The Rayburn was fired up, there was apple cake on the table, sourdough on the chopping board and, everywhere I turned, there was a little detail that caught my eye. A collection of beautiful, rustic details that had both practical and aesthetic purpose. She had picked apples from her tree the day before and, earlier that morning, stewed them for Poet to eat. Yes, that's right, my baby snacked on Rayburn toast and applesauce - as you do. 

While the children played, I watched Michelle make plum jam, stirring the fruit in lemon juice while filtered Tasmanian sunlight poured through the windows. Prayer flags hung just outside the door and washing (all those thick wintry socks) dried on the hills hoist. I sat at the table, mentally noting the rhythm of the home while Daniel and Luisa filmed and photographed. 

I adore Michelle. She is beautiful, gentle and wise. She moved to Tasmania with her husband eight years ago, seeking a quieter, simpler life. And she has created just that. I reluctantly left her house that cold, crisp day with an enormous amount of gratitude - it was just so lovely to be invited into her home. 

Being in her space, watching her create and witnessing a snippet of her family life really affirmed for me the beauty in simple living. I'm all inspired now, to walk my family down that path of simplicity where the air is cleaner and the food is so much sweeter. Sure, I'd love to move to that country house with the plum trees and apple orchard - right now - but alas, that won't be happening just yet. Once again, I mentally repeat: bloom where you're planted. 

35 comments:

  1. bloom where you're planted? perfect. thank you for sharing such an inspiring world. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rusticity of that gorgeous kitchen. Bloom where you grow, i like that a lot: it put me in mind of the textbook career advice on advancement, act as if your in the role already, which seems to work but is not so poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE her house. That rustic table in the first shot is my idea of heaven. And it seems she has got herself one gorgeous looking life down there. You're so right, Bloom where you're planted. It took me a long while to accept I needed to stop fighting my new life when I moved countries, and once I did - it all became a LOT more enjoyable. Beautiful pics as always x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day for you Jodi.
    Michelle's blog was one of the ones that encouraged me to start my own, she has such a beautiful home and family, and she's a lovely person too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that may just be my dream kitchen. Such a lovely, homely, inspiring space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Jodes!!!! these are awesome. i most especially love the perspective and composition of the image of poet. in fact all your images are just absolutely gorgeous. you write with such beautiful words. 'bloom where you're planted' - it's like something that should be screenprinted on a linen teatowel perfect for a country kitchen. such a privileged to have travelled with you guys. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to meet someone who you've only known through Blog World. I am hungry after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE.
    i love the real life people I have met form blog world.
    Michelle is one of my absolute faves.
    xxx
    can't wait to be in her kitchen in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That simpler life in the country is definitely the dream...for now I'll keep flourishing right where I am.
    A beautiful post..thanks for sharing :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm just dying to go to Tassie! And/or just visit Michelle's kitchen. What a beautiful space. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just beautiful, so calm and peaceful I can see that. I do want to return to Tasmania again it's a stunning place to visit. Thank you for sharing these with us. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's it, this year i will learn how to make my own jam!
    And i think this is my dream kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wild with jealousy over here, but that's not very productive is it? I yearn for some kind of simpler life, too. And an apple cake every day. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh the apple cake Kellie....sigh. Infused with coconut and cinnamon - it was deeeelicious x
      Michelle...what else was in the apple cake? x

      Delete
  14. I'm so humbled by your beautiful words and pictures Jodi. I am so happy you came to visit. It was such a delight to meet you. Please came back soon!

    xx

    PS it was apple and almond cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't you worry Michelle, we'll be back (hopefully sooner rather than later) x

      Delete
  15. Sigh. Everything about this screams beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't we always want what we have not got? And often, we get what we thought we wanted and then there's something else (well this is the case for me!) I think its in our human nature, its always good to get realistic and like you said Jodi..bloom where your'e planted. Your life/home looks lovely Jodi, from the photos Tim C. has taken and other photos from your life. Very blessed:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful. I now have a new dream of heating our house and the water AND cooking with one of the beautiful Rayburn heatrangers one day...

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  18. the front door, the entry...sigh. the apple cake...sigh. and then your adorable little girl in her stripes and those booties! sigh. and your words...sigh. thanks for a great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely reminder ... a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. once again Jodi your wonderful writing has bought a tear to my eye! The last four words - Bloom where your planted - means so much to me. I travelled for many years searching for something and only to come back home and find love and a life right where I started! Such a simple way of saying love the life you live. Jodi you weave magic with your words, my lovely! Lou xx p.s. that kitchen! *sigh* xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It does sound so dreamy. What a lovely thing to be able to visit. And "bloom where you're planted" is one of my very favorite sayings as someone who has moved a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jodi these are such beautiful shots (especially little Poet on those white floorboards !!!) .... Michelle's home looks so heavenly, so glad you had such a lovely time X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aah, Bloom where you're planted. Such good advice that I definitely need to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love 'bloom where your planted' what a perfect mantra for me

    ReplyDelete
  25. the photographs. Oh my goodness, so lovely Jodi. You are a woman of too many talents.

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jodi, just discovered you via The Rachel Papers...so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Photos so evocative of a simple, yet thoughtful and purposeful, country life...Tasmania is a beautiful place and such a great spot for a family holiday, I always thought.

    Ever the sticky beak, I'm so intrigued to know what the outcome (workwise) of this trip will be x

    ps Saskia has a similar little navy and white polka dot cardi from good ol' Target. Love a little girl in navy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just started following your blog- really really beautiful photographs! And you write really well too! That looks like a dream for me, a lovely country house with an incredible looking apple cake and a Rayburn!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, that's a house to envy. Pretty pictures xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely post - and those photos are amazing. Michelle's home is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete