Tuesday, March 27, 2012

from the apple isle: journey

We are home - exhausted and inspired. When we bundled into the house late yesterday with our suitcases, stories and jars of homemade jam, we agreed that someday soon we would return to Tasmania. You see, six days is nowhere near long enough. A real holiday is a month - time to settle in, explore and soak in the ambiance. 

Travelling is tiring and travelling with small children is exhausting. I'll put my hand up high and admit that blending work and family was challenging but, as Daniel pointed out, if it wasn't for my career, we wouldn't have been blessed with such a wonderful opportunity. And wonderful it definitely was. The apple orchards were in full bloom, the vistas in both sun and rain were incredibly beautiful. We were deep in the countryside where simple living was priority and subsequently, we returned home with a greater awareness. 

But you know what made this trip so unforgettable? Being welcomed into the warm homes of new friends. Family homes that were achingly beautiful; full of home-grown, homemade and just-baked. Friends that shared knowledge, offered advice and cuddled my children. 

Over the next few days I'll be sharing a little bit more about Tasmania because writing blog posts is far more enticing than unpacking.

Photos taken by photographer and travelling companion Luisa. The setting? Michelle's to-die-for kitchen..more on that (and her) tomorrow.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am looking forward to reading all about the wonderful places you came across.. we are thinking of having a Tasmanian getaway too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered my issue of Kinfolk volume three and I simply can't wait to get it! Looks like you had a lovely time, I can't wait to see more photos! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jodi, you just made me want to visit Tasmania even more!. We are planning on going on a holiday soon trying to choose between Tasmania and Melbourne. Monika.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like the perfect trip, Jodi. So worthwhile for all of you. I'm looking forward to reading more. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back :) I'm so excited to see and read more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more and hoping you settle back in at home quickly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could't decide between tasmania or maine for a 40th birthday trip, as fate would have it after a broken down car and computer we can afford neither so i'm very much looking forward to your posts x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Can't wait to hear how your trip went - those photos are amahzing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love nothing more than to go to Tassie for a holiday but i'll never be able to convince my husband to go, it's not his style of holiday. I'll have to find someone else to join me one day.
    I'm very much looking forward to all the beautiful pictures i'm sure you'll be sharing here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray you're home! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you have some gorgeous posts in store for us all...can't wait to read them.
    Welcome back :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already wanted to go. Now I REALLY want to go. Glad you had such a great time. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. welcome home - looking forward to more beautiful pictures x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I wish we had been to Tasmaina - now we only have four weeks left in Oz, so we'll have to save it for a return visit one day. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that bread - yum! We adored Tassie too. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh, that looks nice! looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your travelling!

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy that you had a great trip. I can't wait to see and hear more. And these photos are so cozy and inviting. I'm looking forward to my next issue of Kinfolk :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely fotos & i agree a really beautiful kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful- very welcome home, Jx

    ReplyDelete