Sunday, December 11, 2011

parrot carrot



I love a good rhyme and when words marry quirky illustrations my book-loving heart goes all-a-flutter. Say hello to Parrot Carrot - the book I request to read when I'm tucking Che into bed. The clever duo that are Jol (foal) and Kate (plate) Temple collaborated with Jon (won ton) Foye to create this fabulous book for adults kids (there's an iphone app too).


For some fun summer reading (or the perfect stocking filler) leave a comment below rhyming your name with something funny and you could win a copy of Parrot Carrot. I'll randomly choose a winner on Friday night (and get it into the post Monday morning in time for Chrissy). Read on for a giggle-inducing interview with Jol and Kate (I love how they rhymed Che and Poet's names). 


Update: Comments closed. The Random Number Generator chose #6 - Sam!


What inspired you to create Parrot Carrot?
Our inspiration came in the form of a restless 4 month old! Our son Arlo was dealing with a whole new time zone after we returned from living in the United States. A bit of a jiggle and some silly rhyming words seemed to keep him happy… and eventually put him to sleep!

How many times a day do you rhyme and combine (people and things)?
Constantly! In fact it’s gotten worse now that Arlo’s joined in. He quite literally rhymes everything! I think he’s going to be Eminem when he grows up.



Why did the Parrot/Carrot make the title and front cover?
The Parrot was our favourite for a long time. He’s also the easiest rhyme for little guys to get first go. Every toddler knows what carrots and parrots are. Hopefully after reading our book they’ll also know what a gnu is!

Is there another rhyming book on the way?
My wordy lordy, yes indeedy! Rhymes are our thing. We’re working up our next rhyming title at the moment with our friends at Allen & Unwin. We’re also looking at ways to bring our rhyming critters to life in different languages. Did you know that meatball and walrus rhyme in German?

My children's names are Che and Poet. I'd love to know what rhyme you come up with...
Che looks like a sunny day. Poet looks like a bottle of Moet (even if she doesn’t know-it!)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. My name is Abbe and I'm nippy like a Yabby. Scratch me and I get Crabby and possibly even Scabby.
    And post baby...I'm a little Flabby!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love rhymes and children i;ve read rhymes to love them as well. so interactive! im not entering, jodi, i won't be in the country on Monday. I just wanted to say I do hope you've come across "lost and found" about the little boy and a lost penguin the boy locates. cannot remember the author.. but its a goodie. xx georgi

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha ooohhh i love rhyming books. the reason why we bought every single Lynley Dodd's Hairy McLary series. easier for me to read too. i'm so going to check the ipad app. I love Cooper Patch's comment too ha ha ha so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm...err...let's see, I'll have to think about this for a while...emma dilemma? Yeah, no...maybe? Ok, I guess that'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok that's not fair because what the heck rhymes with Levineke??
    My name is shortened to Levin though and my nickname use to be Levin to win (Levin is not pronounced the same as Kevin - think more along the lines of the French - Le vin).
    The book looks lovely though - I love kids books and I'm sad that my kids are getting too big for picture books.
    L
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely book! It sounds fab!

    My name is Sam and Mum used to call me Ham, Spam, Jam, it was really tedious to say the least.

    My friends call me Sammy, at the beach I get clammy? Haha, you get the idea ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. my name's Laura & when I was young my dad used to call me Laura Borer Snorer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna goanna, needs a spanner, leave her in the sun to get a bit more tanner. etc etc.
    Awesome looking book. And just as I was thinking we need to expand our repertoire. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always got called 'Rebecca the wrecker', which kind of dented my self esteem, but I think my parents genuinely couldn't come up with another rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Laura and I want to go to Bora Bora! My son is Jude and a number of people think I'm saying "Dude" when I say his name. Which would have been hilarious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice interview. I wll have to check out this book. When I lived in the US, someone missheard my name once and called me Green (as if that was a name!).

    There once was this girl named Carine,
    Who lived in Kentucky at eighteen,
    She went for lunch at the canteen,
    And chatted to this boy who seemed keen,
    But as he left the table unforeseen,
    He muttered "Nice to meet you Green!",
    This left her feeling unseen,
    So she reacted like drama queen.

    ps: the rhyme books my son and I adore are "The Gruffalo" and "Tabby Mc Tat", both by J. Donalson and A. Scheffler. I highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi!
    i've been following your blog for some time. Came across it because of the name and continued passing by, especially during our pregnancies (my little girl was born on the 1st of July). I am leaving a comment for the first time, which is something I've been willing to do for a long time.
    my five year old son is crazy about rhymes, he is always working on a new one everytime he sees something that he likes, and my mother and him spend hours playing games about it. i find it adorable and get surprised at the things he can actually come up with. it turns out to be a funny way of learning new words. but (for now) he does it in portuguese, so i'll wait until they publish the book here. on the other hand it could also be a good way to teach him new english words...
    by the way, the author of lost and found is olver jeffers. his books are awesome, all of them.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi!
    i've been following your blog for some time. Came across it because of the name and continued passing by, especially during our pregnancies (my little girl was born on the 1st of July). I am leaving a comment for the first time, which is something I've been willing to do for a long time.
    my five year old son is crazy about rhymes, he is always working on a new one everytime he sees something that he likes, and my mother and him spend hours playing games about it. i find it adorable and get surprised at the things he can actually come up with. it turns out to be a funny way of learning new words. but (for now) he does it in portuguese, so i'll wait until they publish the book here. on the other hand it could also be a good way to teach him new english words...
    by the way, the author of lost and found is olver jeffers. his books are awesome, all of them.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My girls love rhyme books. My name is kym which is very ordinary for rhyming purposes however our daughter - Matilda gets rattatilly (from her favorite DVD ratouille), Bella gets bellabooski and the only rhyming name we have is Lucy who of course gets Lucy gooey!!
    Very ordinary I know but we still would love to win the book!!
    Merry Christmas - kym

    ReplyDelete
  15. yo! my name is ali, but this isn't a tally, just don't call me sally!

    ReplyDelete