Tuesday, November 27, 2012

experience | document

In the current issue of Little One Baby there is a story, written by me, about the importance of recording childhood. Whilst researching I spoke to a bunch of creatives who, in their own unique way, document the milestones and the tantrums, the birthdays and the weekdays. 

I worked on and off for a few months on the article - emailing, interviewing, reading, writing, editing. I spent a few days before deadline threading it all together and while the story flowed I really struggled with the ending. How was I going to wrap it all up? It took an afternoon of making tea and hanging washing to find the right conclusion. 

It's rare for me to imbue a story with my personal beliefs but I couldn't let this one pass without sharing my opinion. You see, it's a beautiful thing to document childhood; to take a photo a day or one a week, to write innocent phrases in a notebook and create a journal of the years. But perhaps even more precious is falling into the experience, leaving the camera and the phone and the pen behind, and really being here, now. Making memories, not documenting them. 
..............................................................................................................................

The very essence of blogging is documentation - recording thoughts and experiences to prompt conversation. After five years in this space I understand how essential the balance is. It's so easy to look through the lens, observe the moment, capture it and mentally repeat: "...one for the blog." It's even easier to get swept up in the net momentum where daily posts and lengthy comments compete with real life. Blogging is a wonderful medium for communication, conversation and inspiration. For the writer and the reader it can also be challenging, exhausting and make-believe. 

I often step away from this space for a little while, simply because I need a break. I do the same with my camera and my phone - as the day outside beckons, I leave without them. As a writer I know I can always rely on observation and retrospect; often I see things clearer when I recall. 

I have no plans to leave....I just wanted to share my experience; the lessons learned. There is someone who is saying goodbye though. Leigh has been such an inspiration in the past few years as she has navigated her readers through witty, passionate posts about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, babywearing and cosleeping. I wholeheartedly understand and respect her decision. Blessings Leigh....x

No comments:

Post a Comment