Wednesday, January 16, 2013

the school series : counting down

In less than three weeks Che starts school. He is excitedly breaking in his school shoes every day whilst I am nervously ticking things off the list.

Yesterday he tried on his uniform, his sandy beach hair squashed by his enormous hat. He wore it proudly, stood tall in his new shoes and asked me, once again, how many more days till school. 

It's such an enormous transition for the whole family and I've been doing my best to consciously prepare (myself more than anyone). I've sought the advice and wisdom of some of the mums and dads I admire most and I'll be sharing their thoughts here over the next week or so. I also have a fabulous back-to-school giveaway organised and I'm collecting some yummy ideas for lunchbox treats.

For now, I'll continue to make this summer-before-school-starts Che's best yet. Earlier this week I took him out for sushi, we spent time in the bookstore and then we bought socks and cotton singlets (because a cotton singlet is like a hug, in my opinion). He's been to the theatre with Mama and today he's going on the ferry with Ommi. Every second day we've been at the beach and every afternoon has been quiet - reading, baking, resting. 

Whilst we make a memorable summer I am overwhelmed by the emotional tug of my first-born heading off to school. It's so very strong. Do you have a child starting school this year? 

photos taken by luisa on our daytrip to Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment