Tuesday, May 22, 2012

from the city (melbourne): Collingwood Children's Farm

Collingwood Children's Farm - love. We chose to visit on a Saturday and take advantage of the fabulous farmer's market (one of Australia's best) where local and award-winning farmers sell their goods....think organic garlic, organic vegetables, pink salt, Australian native flora and homemade chai. Daniel and Che feasted on a bratwurst roll and I devoured (with the help of an ever-hungry Poet) the best potato roti/tomato salsa/beetroot pesto/green salad in the world. A big cup of orange/carrot/watermelon/ginger juice was the perfect accompaniment. 

We spent a few hours wandering the property (it's seven hectares all up), feeding the animals and chatting to the sweet lady spinning yarn. Just like at CERES, I had to remind myself that we were only a few kilometres from the city centre...it's hard to believe as you stroll around the vegie gardens, paddocks and orchards that those busy laneways are a 10minute drive away.

If you do visit Melbourne make sure you visit the farm on a blue-sky Saturday. It will be one of your favourite city moments.

PS. I have no idea why that cat doesn't have ears. If any of you regular farm-goers know the story then please share...

22 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect way to spend a day.

    On the cat front, my guess would be that his ears have been removed due to skin cancer. The same thing happened to Mum & Dad's black & white farm cat. He's still going strong I'm glad to say!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely again. I've heard a lot about this place. You're making me want to book a flight right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous and wonderful that these amazing places are part of the city. CERES has always been a dream destination for me as well and quite frankly it looked like it lived up to that dream. Oh what a wonderful time you all had. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, I have been to that farm so many times and only you could make it look so idyllic! Just gorgeous photos and little captured moments. Thank you for making our world so beautiful. Your blog makes me happy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had many a kids birthday party at the childrens farm and it is just so wonderful. Are the big pigs still there? - they were one of our favourites!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great when you have something so rural and full of nature so close to the city. how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see regular haunts in my city through the eyes of others...

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a lovely day. that salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks wonderful! oh, and i am loving your outfit you sassy mama you x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the loveliness you captured on your outing. What a great family day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is definitely on my to-do list in Melbourne now.

    Looks fantastic!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have loved looking through your gorgeous photos of Melbourne. It's so great to see pictures of our familiar place through fresh eyes. I have seen the cat before but I'm not sure why he/she has no ears! Last time we went the office was full of kittens, such a delight. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That place looks like it's so good for the soul! Oh how I love animals... love Che's cute little expression at the horse... I've got some horsey encounters coming up on my blog too... aren't they magical creatures?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love how miss Poet is eyeballing the food that is going in your mouth...as if it should be going in *hers*! :))
    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. We must of crossed paths on that Saturday as we were filling our market bags with yummy produce. We're heading back tomorrow to say hello to the animals.

    Have you ever read this young beautiful woman's blog http://www.theroadishome.com/. Take a peek, she is an amazing soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend reading her 'about me' page first : )

      Delete
    2. Yes, Angela. I know Nirrimi's blog well. Sigh. She is one in a million that girl x

      Also, I can't believe you were at the markets that day. What a shame we didn't get to chat x

      Delete
  16. This place looks amazing! and I love your jacket! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Poet looking up at you, and your delicious lunch! She is waiting...'please mum, give me some!'
    Melbourne looks incredible. i cannot wait to go. Planning, planning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pictures. Because I see love in them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I am so glad you enjoyed it. We just love it there, although I have never seen the ear-less cat! x

    ReplyDelete