Monday, May 21, 2012

from the city (melbourne): CERES

On my list of "Things to do in Melbourne" CERES came in at number 1. I had read so much about the demonstration farm in the heart of the suburbs and I desperately wanted to take the kids there for a bit of country in the city. 

Located on 4.5 hectares on the Merri Creek in East Brunswick, this thriving community environment park that was once a rubbish dump (and a quarry before that) is an inspiring example of sustainability, innovation and community. 

We were immediately impressed by the contemporary, eco-friendly architecture and enjoyed walking on the paths, around the abundant vegie patch and down to the cafe where mums, dads, bubs and toddlers basked in the sun. Che ran off to meet new friends and Daniel and I settled under a grapevine decorated with prayer flags. We sat and watched for a good hour; everyone around us seemed so delighted to be there, blessed to have such a wide, green, lush space for their children to play in. Looking out over the hill I thought about the 350000 people who walk through the gates each year - to buy from the permaculture nursery, peruse the weekly organic market or meet with their local mother's group for a catch up over chai. 

Every inch of CERES is imbued with a handmade, home-grown, lovingly-tended vibe...gosh it's a beautiful place.

If I lived in Melbourne I'd want to live near CERES

from the city (melbourne)
urban inspiration

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place! I'd never heard of it till now. Must pay a visit on my next trip to Melbourne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks amazing... as if I need another reason to go back and visit Melbourne!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this beautiful place looks to be a really good experience!

    xx
    evdokia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun. Exploring new places is always exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lucky to live within walking distance of CERES and my sister used to run the market... it's definitely a favourite spot of ours. We get their Fair Food fruit and veg boxes too, which are fabulous. Worth checking out if you live in the inner city. They need support after a recent media debacle so thanks for this write up Jodi...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive indeed! No wonder it was so high on your list. Thanks for the introduction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We too are lucky to live just down the road from CERES. We are headed there today in fact, weather permitting! So glad you enjoyed it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jodi, I am lucky enough to be a part of the CERES family - my husband's uncle founded CERES and is a managing director :) It is a beautiful place, full of beautiful spirit! So glad you got to enjoy it, and you're right, living near CERES is the best - our brother and sister-in-law and several cousins and their partners all live around the corner and it's a great community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i live in Melbourne & I DO want to live near Ceres, love it near there!
    beautiful place ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live on the other side of the world - I soooo want to visit Melbourne : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ceres is one of the most wonderful places ... think I might have to make the trip with my kids again soon. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm another who is lucky enough to live very close to Ceres, it's often a destination on family bike rides :)

    ReplyDelete