Tuesday, May 10, 2011

stripes


I've always had a soft spot for stripes. Classic, stylish, nautical, wide, thin, haphazard, multi-coloured...they always make me smile. I started the baby's blanket in the first few weeks of this pregnancy, thinking I was having a baby girl. And as the belly grew and my instinct made me think 'boy', the colours on the blanket changed. I only used scraps from other projects and balls of yarn found in op-shops and I'm rather happy with the end result. It's rather unisex, don't you think? I didn't follow a pattern; I just cast on, knit till I thought it was wide enough and changed colours when I got bored. It's big enough for the moses basket and the pram and will do when baby is a toddler and is in need of a blanket when reading on the couch.

As for the little pile of little striped clothes. Ohhhh, so I have purchased a few things, mainly from Nature Baby, Purebaby, Mini Rodini and my best friend's baby boutique (incredibly handy and perhaps a little bit dangerous). I unlocked the space bags with all of Che's newborn clothes and inhaled the new baby scent that managed to hide away with the 000 wondersuits and booties. I'm doing a bit of soaking and washing daily, then I fold those wee little pieces into piles and stack them in the drawers.

And wash by wash, fold by fold, week by week, this baby gets a little closer to being here - in my arms. I'm savouring these last weeks, trying not to count down, because it has been such an enjoyable journey and I want to treasure every last moment of it.

Note: this positivity may not be existent if I go so far overdue like I did with Che. If I come here complaining about due dates, heaviness and impatience, one of you might like to remind me about the words above!

And before I forget, the lovely, witty, fellow gestator Mama Mogantosh interviewed me a few days ago about being a muma and a blogger. You can read the interview here.

12 comments:

  1. beautiful blanket. very missoni-esque. such a lovely time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one fantastic blanket - what a lucky little baby! and a very clever mumma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, as always. Also, Dave didn't even get a look in on those brownies- i ate them both (must get recipe, good idea, no?). YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of obsessed with stripes as well. Just popped into a few local shops and realized that all i ever look at are striped tops, hmm... Love that blanket of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blanket, clever lady...I think I'm starting to develop a real 'thing' for baby's blankets. I seek them out everywhere I go - in shops, online, or peeking in prams on the street (hope that doesn't sound too creepy!)...

    Really enjoyed your interview and the heart-warming family story. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous little blanket, I unfortunately don't know how to knit, but think it is a beautiful present for your new bubba.
    Oh, and your 'family story' from your interview, well it made me all teary :)
    Rhi x
    www.lovewisdommotherhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that blanket. I also remember washing all the baby clothes when my second one was on the way and just being so overwhelmed by how little they all were. Precious times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't beat stripes. Actually, you can. With a beautiful handmade blanket for a baby from its Mama. Gorgeous as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Pretty Blanket! How I wish I had the patience to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely. I'm stripe crazy too. Thanks for being in the week o'mamas!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a way with words x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jodi, just landed here via your new post. Nice work with the blanket. I can imagine that you can't wait to use it now... tik tok, tik tok! :) Bisous de Paris xx

    ReplyDelete