Tuesday, May 3, 2011

pumpkin soup for autumn/winter

I'm loving all the comments coming through on the keepsakes post. It's a beautiful insight into your family cooking heirlooms, everything from breakfast to dinner, sweet & savoury. I thought it only fair that I share with you my favourite family recipes - starting today with my Mum's pumpkin soup. I've already made it about six times this autumn. It's easy, quick, economical, freezes well and, most importantly, is delicious, nourishing and wholesome. We usually enjoy a big bowl with some fresh sourdough or, if we have any in the freezer, some spinach and cheese pastries. Yum!

Pumpkin Soup (to warm your belly and your heart on cold days)

750grams pumpkin, no skin (I use organic jap or kent)
3 tomatoes peeled & chopped
1 large brown onion, sliced
1 teaspoon of raw sugar
4.5 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
salt & pepper
pinch of chilli powder
150mls cream

Peel the pumpkin and cut into chunks. Place in a deep pot with onion, tomatoes, sugar and salt & pepper. Cover with stock - don't use too much stock as the soup will end up too runny. Keep pot covered and cook until pumpkin is quite soft. Spoon into your blender and blend until smooth. If there is a lot of watery residue at the bottom of the pot I usually leave it out - creamy, thick soup is my preference. Finally add chilli & cream and stir. When and if you reheat make sure you don't boil it. Enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm sounds delicious. Soup has to be one of the best things about cooler weather x o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy Jodi! Will be sure to try this one out x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cooked pumpkin soup this afternoon too! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin soup is my favourite, with yummy crusty bread and lots of butter - I know what I am going to have for dinner tomorrow night - thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jodi, this pumpkin soup looks wonderful, My mums trcik is to add a green apple for extra sweetness. Can you flick me an email at rachaelmogan (at)gmail (dot) com? I have question for you. Thanks for the kind thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think, at final count, we harvested 18 heritage pumpkins from our patch.

    (i'd pass one on if only you were a bit closer.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pumpkin soup looks delicious. I will have to make some.

    ReplyDelete