Sunday, November 22, 2009

melting (& photographing it)








I've just perused a few Australian blogs and realised that most of you have posted about our Spring heatwave. I didn't cope yesterday. Not at all. I felt like I was melting. My feet were on fire. I kept asking Daniel when the southerly change was coming. I expected him to know. I wanted a time, so I could count down the hours. I'm precious I know, but in 41degree heat I'm allowed to be. My solution? Lay still, place a cold face washer over your chest, have the fan spinning, crunch ice, think about how nice it will be when the breeze arrives at the window.

Hello, beautiful breeze. 2am this morning. You can stay as long as you like.

Surprisingly I managed to take a few photos yesterday. I look at them now and feel hot. The vegies continue to come from Grandad's and my (gorgeous little cherry toms) garden and we know that regardless of how hot it gets, there's always ice-blocks in the bath, or the clam (yes, we succumbed to the Aussie backyard icon).

I think we all have an inkling that there may be a few more heatwaves headed our way.

So please tell me, how do you stay cool?

And, if you're interested I'm starting a once-a-week photo post. Take a photograph that so wonderfully depicts summer to you. We're in it so we might as well celebrate it. I'll start a list on my blog. Photos need to be posted on Monday afternoon. Think of the collection you'll have by the end of February.

13 comments:

  1. gosh and we are so so cold here. i was out in the desert freeezing my tukus of last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your photos. everytime i go to sign up for your feed it won't let me!! Arrgghh! I did my teacher training at Samadhi- loved it! Honestly my favourite studio in Australia. You will really enjoy the course and meet some lifelong friends. Very happy for you- enjoy! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been super-hot in Canberra too. Blessedly cold today though! I'm wearing my slipper to celebrate.

    How do I keep cool? Close all the windows and doors, shut the blinds and curtains, and sit in front of a fan with a good DVD and a jug of ice cold water. Open up the house again when the night time coolness hits, let the house cool down, and repeat again the next day!!

    Would love to take part in a summer blog photo thing. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like a wonderful idea jodi. i'm in.

    and i actually enjoyed the heat as we were stuck in perpetual winter for a good long time. and incidently it was freezing here in melbourne yesterday and quite chilly today. and no i'm not taunting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are opposite of you and so it's getting quite cold here. However, I thought I'd share 2 of my posts with you on how we kept cool this past summer ...
    http://wildasweeds.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-were-keeping-cool-without-air.html
    http://wildasweeds.blogspot.com/2009/08/cooling-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was hot, wasn't it. Your photos look like you survived OK. And how ridiculous is this cold snap? The veggies look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reckon the summer photo is a great idea, who knows in Melbourne that could include snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monday afternoon. Summer photos. I am in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely....count me in too Jodi!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm from Adelaide. We had an unearthly heatwave! My least favourite day? 43 degrees. I keep spray bottles of water in the fridge. Heavenly cool when spritzing in front of 4 fans! Kept praying we wouldn't have a power blackout.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound like i was in this heat. I didnt cope, especially with a baby who also wasnt coping with it. The fan was on and cool baths for us were had!
    Have to get another clam shell this summer. Will try to post on monday arvo, so count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool idea eating ice cream in the bath, I try next summer

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to join in - my pics from VIC maybe a little different to yours. A soaking from the rain, and sunburnt all in the same day!!

    ReplyDelete